Post new topic   Reply to topic    Champions of Justice Forum Index -> Role Builds & Strats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Solarstar-

re: Modding and You

A heavy misconception when it comes to modding gear is that people tend not to mod anything until they grab their Tier 3 and above gear. It's actually good to mod the Tier 2.5 gear from Central City since, for the most part, Type III mods can get you over CR 70 and unlock Gates of Tartarus (Gates, GoT), Wayward Souls (T4 Operation Alert), With a Vengeance/Black Dawn (T4 Operation Raids), Prime, and the new solo content from Home Turf (Ace Chemicals and Strykers).

As for the mods each role needs, they can vary as they give a unique build if you're a Controller that mods Vit, Vit/Dominance, Vit/Precision or Vit, Vit/Health, and Vit/Might or Vit/Precision.

For example, my Controller, Lady Celestia has Type III/IV Vit, Vit/Dominance and Vit/Precision mods on her gear since most of her damage comes from her weapon. The mods themselves are placed in the appropriate gear pieces (Type IV for any piece of Tier 4 or Runic and Type III for anything thats Tier 3 - 3.5).

DPS, for the most part, will mainly mod for Might-based mods (including Precision/Might for a slightly more balanced build) unless they're Hard Light or Earth DPS. For HL and Earth DPS, Precision-based mods will be your goal so don't bother placing the Precision/Might mod in any Red Sockets.

Healers would mod for Restoration-based mods and most likely use the Restoration/Precision mod since their damage mainly comes from their weapon.

Tanks are the Dominance heavy users who use Dominance-based mods to help keep the boss, trash mobs and adds glued to it while the Tank uses their powers to taunt the stuff onto it.

Your asking yourselves, why not mod the Tier 2 gear and below? That's because you'll most likely need to run the Batcave raids in league rather than deal with PUGs that want overgeared people to carry them though, just so they can get all the drops. Also, there's the Astral Gear that also drops from the Sub-Avatars in Gotham and that's pointless to mod as well since most primarily just go for the style.

The drops from the Tier 3 Alerts/Duos, you can mod since they're just barely Tier 2.5; however, if you have the gear from Central City, then modding the gear from the Tier 3 Alerts/Duos becomes pointless.

So, getting back to what the mods are:
Controllers (Mental, Gadgets, Hard Light):
    Vitalization
    Vitalization & Dominance
    Vitalization & Power
    Vitalization & Precision
    Vitalization & Might
    Vitalization & Health

DPS - Might-based (Electricity, Fire, Sorcery, Nature, Ice, Mental, Gadgets) / Precision-based (Hard Light, Earth):
    Might
    Might & Power
    Might & Health
    Precision & Might - for a more balanced build for Might DPS
    Precision
    Precision & Power
    Precision & Health

Healers (Sorcery, Nature, Electricity):
    Restoration
    Restoration & Health
    Restoration & Power
    Restoration & Precision
    Restoration & Might

Tanks (Ice, Fire, Earth):
    Dominance
    Dominance & Power
    Dominance & Health
    Dominance & Precision
    Dominance & Might

You can also check this out for every possible type of mod: Odyssey DCUO Crafting

Just as a reminder when Exobit Hunting, you'll obtain Aggressive (Red), Support (Yellow), and Fortified (Blue) Exobits which are your basic pieces to find for your primary Exobytes. Combining them to make a Secondary Exobyte is also ideal to get the most out of your character in your preferred role of choice. From Red and Yellow, you get Orange (Tenacious Exobyte), Red and Blue will get Purple (Vengeful Exobyte), Yellow and Blue will get you Green (Durable Exobyte).

Materials can also come from Salvaging anything Rare and Epic that's higher than Item Level 32-34 I believe. From Salvaging, you can obtain Simple Materials, Complex Materials, and from Epic Items you can obtain Focus Elements (depending on the Item Level of the piece).

For Type IV mods:
12 <Type of Exobyte>, 1 Focus Element IV, 1 Type IV Mod, 8 Simple Materials and 3 Complex Materials

For Type III mods:
9 <Type of Exobyte>, 1 Focus Element III, 1 Type III Mod, 6 Simple Materials and 2 Complex Materials

For Type II mods:
6 <Type of Exobyte>, 1 Focus Element II, 1 Type II Mod, 4 Simple Materials and 1 Complex Material

For Type I mods:
3 <Type of Exobyte>, 1 Type I Mod, and 4 Simple Materials

I hope this clears up alot of things about Modding and when to begin modding your gear.

Enjoy.
Xylar
XXsylarXX
Council of Justice

Resto & Might is more for Fire tanks not healers as we get no benefit from might what so ever.

Xy

"Well, let's just say that I could write a hell of a paper on a grown man who dresses like a flying rodent."~Batman Forever Photobucket DC Universe Online PC: Xylar - Lv 30 Sorcery Healer- Hero Xynaa - Lv 30 Fire Dps-Hero
-Solarstar-

I know that tongue out

I was merely listing the mods.
Xylar
XXsylarXX
Council of Justice

"Well, let's just say that I could write a hell of a paper on a grown man who dresses like a flying rodent."~Batman Forever Photobucket DC Universe Online PC: Xylar - Lv 30 Sorcery Healer- Hero Xynaa - Lv 30 Fire Dps-Hero
-Solarstar-

Wait Xy... rewind. I think we both got it wrong.

Fire Tanks don't use Resto & Might. They use Health-based (specifically Dominance & Health in their Blue Sockets) mods since that raises their health greatly. Then they use Restoration & Health on their Yellow Sockets and finish with either Precision & Health or Might & Health mods in their Red Sockets.

The reason Fire Tanks need the Resto/Health mods is because of the way they can get back health from setting mobs on fire with either Burning or Immolation PI's.
Xylar
XXsylarXX
Council of Justice

Yeah also the Might for the powers, I believe. Not sure if the new update changed that. I know they still need the resto for sure, but not as much as say a healer..hmmm Great work anyhow. That took a lot of time and effort and is greatly appreciated Happy. Keep it up

Xy

Rebelyon

Thanks for the list. Haha I guess I am the one who inspired you to do this after you checked me out and realized what is this scrub doing with ZERO mods in his T3 and T3.5 gears.

I am also inspired by that link you showed which showed who is able to craft that specific mod, we should get one too!

Thread Hijack - who is able to craft Vit & Prec 4? Please hit me up because I need help for that ^^

For Tier 3 - 3.5 gear, I'd go with Level III mods. That way you don't waste a Level IV mod on anything but Tier 4.

BTW, I can make Vit/Precision III Rebelight.
Rebelyon

I'm putting them into my 1st and 2nd T4 pieces (my precioussss), which is why I am looking for Vit & Prec 4. Think I have all the materials except the bytes... time for some exo run!

jackson2004
Leader

i think i have vit/pre 4 remind me to check next time im on techtroller

All i see you these days in game is as Techtroller. I'm starting to forget who Ice Avenger is twisted

jackson2004
Leader

he needs gear more than ice atm

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: